Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Goon Strip Actor!

Now I didn't think I was actually going to feel a bit guilty about not posting but here I am ready with a few excuses. Been driving back and forth to Wales as my wife J and I pledged help to some parent friends who rarely get to go on holiday by looking after their house, dogs and thoroughly delightful young teen boy and girl while at the same time I have been playing Glen Ashstone the reluctant psychic in "Family Affairs".

Going into soap world as a guest is an odd experience. It's not exactly like going into a country pub full of locals but there are similarities. Of course it is a very nice neighbourhood and once one has been there for one day people at least recognise you as a part of the machine.

The pace of shooting is wild - on my first day I arrived at 8.15am and was out of the building by 10am having shot two scenes. The discipline and concentration required to produce some truthful work is huge. The regulars know exactly who they are and what their history gives them, as a guest one needs to have made a lot of decisions before turning up so as to have an inner life which can convince. Luckily the wardrobe people and I were on the same wavelength and after one telephone conversation they had provided a good selection of stuff for me to wear as there were no costume fittings in advance - Glen Ashstone came together quickly and finally in the dressing room.

One or two line-runs on camera and then one or two takes and it's done, as they shoot with three cameras simultaneously. The director is only going to intervene if there is a technical problem or if it is truly awful. The trick is to have imagined well what one looks like and who one is so that you can walk in to any situation or location and react truthfully to whatever comes your way. This way you can relax in to it and not feel the need to act each line too hard - a big temptation when you are only going to get one or two goes at it. As an actor you can make this type of drama as good as it can be, to think you can make it better is arrogant and counter-productive. It was going on before you arrived and will continue after you have been forgotten.

This is also true of regulars. This is a current issue with "Family Affairs" as there is a new series producer and all producers like to make some changes. Some actors have found that their characters are going, some are relieved to be kept on. The rhyme or reason for these changes are not really relevant to the individuals involved, some go some stay, end of story. What may be life-changing for them is just another episode.

On Friday last I did some psychic scenes. I can't really reveal what goes on but it involved a cuddly toy and inventive camera work. I still have a bit more to do later this week which I'll post about later - obviously - as I'm not really a prognosticator - which I've just noticed is an anagram for Goon Strip Actor!

2 Comments:

Blogger Rod said...

Well thanks shirley. Believe me I'll let everyone know. Good luck with the terrific two.

4:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice ! I loved reading about your process in that. Sounds challenging. But you're up for it, right ?!!
Best.

6:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home