Sunday, May 01, 2005

USE IT!

So how does one play a psychic? Answers on a postcard please......... I think I am going to go for dead ordinary with a hint of inner torture from his unwelcome gift. Like paprika in a goulash - gives it colour but doesn't overpower. Obviously it will be a bit like my dad as I am now the age that he was when he was this age. He was almost totally blind so a great listener and he had very sensitive fingers - he could tell when someone who had just been eating hadn't washed his hands by touching the door handles, from which he would reel away in disgust. To most of us he appeared to be reacting to something that wasn't there. A neat dresser, I like that. When inside is chaos one has to exert control where one can.
I lost control for a brief moment yesterday when trampolining in a friend's garden. I bounced off backwards while trying to regain my footing - should have just left it. I fell quite well really, but unfortunately not one of the electrons that make up my body felt able to pass by the electrons that made up the lawn regardless of the huge nano-distances between them - impasse! Literally. "You were lucky mate!" I hear them call in Oz and indeed it could be viewed that way. I could well be in traction or worse. However I do not feel that lucky. I feel like someone hit me in the kidneys with a cricket bat. But you see, the actor always wins; I can use it tomorrow in my portrayal of the reluctant psychic. I see it as the paprika in the performance - that wince as I sit down will be ENTIRELY GENUINE.

1 Comments:

Blogger OvaGirl said...

ouch! didn't anyone tell you bouncy springy things are dangerous? glad you're ok!
good luck with the psychic. there was one interviewed here on tv last night. She said because she can 'read' anyone she comes in contact with it makes her tired after a couple of hours. She said it was like spending all day doing maths.

Love that detail about your dad and door handles - beautiful.

11:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home