Monday, May 30, 2005

Dead Flowers Live

In the absence of the larking about professionally and despite dark thoughts of the destruction of the artistic soul of our nation and possibly the planet by the encroaching forces of greed and philistinism I will nevertheless try and set down one or two snippets for the blog nibblers out there to chew on.

I have not yet heard about the film I went up for, apparently the tapes went astray in the post but now have been recovered and the last I heard they were winging their way to somewhere over the rainbow from whence a reply will doubtless come soon or not at all. We are in the midst of that quaint institution a bank holiday where sport is played, tea is drunk and everyone does their banking on-line.

For my own part, I and the band which I front known as Dead Flowers played a gig yesterday at the Redbridge Green Fair, the sort of festival where one can purchase a gluten-free falafel wrap and get an Indian head massage if one is so minded. At 52 I am the junior member of the band and I jump around a bit and sing. I also play the electric fiddle and mandolin when the others let me. Our set list includes such classics as "There's a Riot Going On", "Sympathy for The Devil" and "Roll Over Beethoven" so pastoral it isn't! Well we had fun and so did the thirty or so people who hung around or wandered within earshot and the cute white dog with the curly tail seemed to be enjoying itself.

It was also the 50th birthday of my very good friend and indeed best man, Paul Bradley a fine actor and one of the funniest men alive. He had the most brilliant party in a boathouse by the Lee Navigation opposite Walthamstow Marshes - a venue of mystery and history and the largest group of sleeping swans I have ever seen. A few drinks were taken and old acquaintances renewed and ways to make a living dicussed ranging from being a tour guide to pest-control and whether there was an overlap. More of that later perhaps. The composer Stephen Warbeck and the central core of his band The hKippers (the h is silent) which PB fronts, played an unplugged session of his renowned sound Stupid World Music before which gremlins pale and depression flees.

Thank you and good-night.

1 Comments:

Blogger OvaGirl said...

Snippets gratefully chewed! I laughed at your post heading - fab name. Sounds like a great day.

8:14 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home