Monday, February 20, 2006

Busy But Not Earning: A well known story

Saw The Anderson Project last Friday and was blown away. Mainly by the feeling of relaxed good humour with which Robert LePage delivered his two hour tour de force which is not exactly a cheery story while keeping one riveted by the narrative and amazed by the theatrical wizardry. I wasn't expecting much as I had only seen his Midsummer Night's Dream before and wasn't impressed (except by Tim Spall's Bottom) so J and I went out into the night cheered enough to purchase a celebratory Chinese takeaway. I suspect I enjoyed the experience partly because it is not really what I do or aspire to do. Although I really admired his easy adoption of character and smooth control and precision in delivery.

By the way, the Barbican is a fantastic spot for people watching and obviously a nexus point on some ley line for the sartorially challenged and those who are interested in silly walks, strange headgear and creative hair arranging!

The play-reading at The Bush went very well. Set on a trawler at sea somewhere 'Surf' by Jón Atli Jónasson fished in the depths of the Icelandic psyche (perhaps). I spent half the play dead but still talking! The audience found the play very funny and I do not attribute this to the fact that all were given free vodka before, at the interval and after the play.

The play I have been working on for the Miniaturists evening at Southwark Playhouse next Sunday 'The Troubador' by Sebastian Baczkiewicz turns out to be a real gem. It's a fantastic discipline to try and get this right. With a longer piece you get a chance to bring a performance back on track if you feel it is veering onto the hard shoulder or indeed the soft verges but with a ten minute play you pretty much have to drive a straight and true line while at the same time feeling free enough to deliver it with relaxation and flair. Now having expressed the challenge I rather wish I hadn't!

2 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

You'll be fine.

10:32 pm  
Blogger Rod said...

Thanks Pi. I'll take your word for that.

12:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home