Saturday, April 02, 2005

We want somebody else

It is an absolutely gorgeous spring day. The garden is very active and fragrant. I am going to a barbie this afternoon and will be seeing my lovely daughters. A recipe for a delightful time. However this blog is about acting and I am here giving fair warning. Not getting a job that you want is tough, it gives you a knock that you have to recover from. People say to me it must be hard, this insecurity, not knowing one's future and I tell them that I've never known anything else and I wouldn't have it any other way. All true, but not to be able to ply one's trade, to work on a script, to be in the rehearsal room or in front of a camera doing what you do best is sometimes painful and there's an end to it.
I had the great pleasure of playing Keith in 'The God Botherers' a Richard Bean play at The Bush a while back. Some months later an actor who I had just seen being rather brilliant in another play accosted me in the bar and said "I was up for that you bastard, you're always getting my jobs" - "Did you come and see it?" I said - "Did I fuck!" he said. I knew how he felt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home